Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Two New Personal Records

At 10 a.m. this morning, under the burning morning sun, I headed to the Singapore Sports School to run a mile race with all of my classmates. Every year, right before school lets out, our school has us run a timed mile at the SSS. The top finishers get invited to the cross country team the next year. Anyway, as I said earlier, I arrived at the SSS at 10 am and did some stretches and had some water. After, I found a patch of shade and watched the first mile heat for people who have a mile time over 8.00 minutes. After they finished their run it was time for the people with a mile time under 8.00 minutes, my PB was 6.49. I lined up at the starting line with about 35 other people and the gun was fired. It was hard to get out in front because of all of the people, but I found a spot on the inside lane and proceeded to finish my first lap in 1.42. At this point I was in about 12th place, but as the run continued on I passed 5 people and on the last lap I was in 7th place. The last lap was pretty hard, a combination of the sun and fatigue. On the last 100 meters I started to sprint because my goal was to break 6.30. When I had about 10 meters to go I heard the guy who was calling out times say 6.23, 6.24.... I needed to run faster. I actually leaped over the line, but had a nice cushion of 3 seconds. I had broke 6.30! My final time was 6.27. I could be invited to cross country try outs, they say that you have to be below 7.00 to be invited. Who knows? We will see.

My second record for today was that I broke 100km on my road bike computer since I had gotten it about 3 weeks ago. I rode 20.5 km today. My route went around the Botanic Gardens, through Bukit Timah Road and through the Dempsey area. I was really hurting on the uphills, probably because of the mile run earlier today. A funny thing happened on the ride. As I was hurtling down Nassim Hill at 45kmh, a fly flew right into my open mouth! I nearly crashed because I was so startled. I pulled over and coughed it out and it flew right away! Pretty funny.

My stats: Distance- 20.51kmh, Avg. Speed- 26.91kmh, Max Speed-44.2kmh, Time-48.46

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the addition of photos to your blog. Highly enjoyable running reviews. So who is faster in a flat out sprint, you or your dad?