Monday, May 7, 2007

Long Blazing Road Ride


My Trek 1000-->

Went for the longest bike ride of my life (so far) yesterday. Started out as a little jaunt to the Chinese Cemetery via Kheam Hock Road. The Chinese Cemetery is a nice, relaxing place to ride except if you are afraid of ghosts or wild dogs. Dad and I then decided to continue to Macritchie via Sime and Lornie Road. On Lornie road we stuck to the sidewalks because of the reckeless drivers rocketing down the road at at least 100 km per hour. After getting to Macritchie, we decided to go further. We continued on up the nice, shady, quiet Upper Thompson road which is pretty much flat with a few up and downs and at the end of Upper Thompson Road we accidently turned left onto the Seletar Expressway, but had intended to turn left via Mandai Avenue. Luckily we continued without incident and without being aressted until Mandai Road. Then we rode down Mandai Road, which I am sure is a nice place to ride, but is h*** on a sunny day. I could literally feel my arms sizzling from the UV rays. Anyway, after getting onto Woodlands road we took a rest break at a gas station a downed a one liter water bottle, refilled the bike bottles and had a Pocari Sweat. Then continued down Upper Bukit Timah and Dunearn Road. At that spot I really started to crave ice cream and pizza, and was sprinting to get home just to satisfy my cravings. It was the longest ride I have ever done but my rather new Trek 1000 road bike performed brilliantly(except that the fact that the saddle is really stiff). I have dubbed the route I took the Reservoirs Route, since it goes around all of Singapores major reservoirs and the Central Catchment Reserve.

My stats- Distance-44.1 k, Average Speed-23.8 kmh, Max Speed-51 kmh

No comments: