Saturday, May 5, 2007

Bukit Timah MTB


<-- Stairs Suck


Arrived at Bukit Timah trailhead later than I would of liked at 8.30. I was surprised though because anytime past 8.00, the MTB trail is clogged with bikers which makes riding very difficult, but when we got there we were the only ones there. I was also surprised by the number of monkeys in the parking lot area. I saw quite an ironic scene before hitting the trail; in front of a huge billboard that said STOP FEEDING THE MONKEYS-OFFENDERS WILL BE FINED, was a man throwing bread at the monkeys.

Anyway, my friend A and I hit the trail at 8.35 and were instantly fighting for traction at the first paved uphill thanks to the torrential downpours that had been hitting Singapore for the past week. We continued without incident for another few minutes before having to lift our bikes over a felled tree on the trail. We reached my favorite spot (a large meadow among natural, large rock walls) at about 3 kilometers into the ride. When we were at the 5 kilometer marking, we decided to cool off in a little stream runnng by the trail. It was really refreshing, but in back of my mind I kept asking myself if we could get fined for doing it. Well, we didn't end up getting aressted and after carrying our bikes over the notorious and tiring stairsuck section (for the word sucks spraypainted on the bottom stair) we finished the ride about an hour after starting. It was A's first real MTB ride and he said it was one of the hardest things he had ever done! It was an enjoyable ride for both of us though.

Tomorrow my plan is to either ride one of the routes featured in the Straits Times on Wednesday or to ride around Changi Airport on my bicycle.

No comments: