Sunday, May 20, 2007

Oakley City Duathlon 2007


Today, May 20th, I took part in the first ever Oakley City Duathlon. It was a run-bike-run event in the heart of Singapore's downtown area. My category comprised a 2k run followed by a 6k bike ride and finished off with another 1k run. The longest category was 10k-40k-5k(I don't see how anyone can do that, but 1000 did).

Woke up to 5.30 a.m. alarm, after an anxious night with little sleep. Proceeded to get dressed and eat some breakfast and checked all racing stickers. The day before, I had gone to the race expo to collect my goodie bag a racing numbers. I had two numbers to attach to my shirt, three to my helmet, one to affix to my bike and they also gave me an electronic timing chip which I strapped to my left ankle. I was out the door with my bike and gear at 6.10.

Got down to the Central Promontory at about 6.40 and proceeded to the massive transition area for the bikes. It must have been 400m x 400m. I was directed to put my bike at row 19, which luckily was right next to the bike exit. I spent a few minutes getting my bike and helmet set up, so that when I came in from the run leg, I could get away with the bike quickly. I got away to from the transition area and waited in line for the Porta-potty for 5 minutes before proceeding with my warm-up. Did a little run, some strides and some stretches for the warm-up and then went to the starting line.

There were about 200 people in my category and I chose a spot near the back of the pack. (Nothing is more demoralizing that starting at the front and having people pass you). One of the organizers came and gave us a short briefing and then the gun was fired. There was a pacer bike at the front to lead the way and when the gun was fired all of the little kids sprinted like Carl Lewis after it, but burned out after about 100 meters :). I had trouble picking my way through the pack, I had to weave through lots of people, but finally found a nice, clear area. We got to the 500m mark right before Esplande Bridge and went over the bridge. I could see the bike and front runners about 150 m ahead of me. We then did a u-turn under the Esplanade bridge and came back the same way. I finished the 2k in 9:02.

I ran to the bike transition zone, donned my helmet and ran with my bike to the bike mounting area and was off. At this point there were about 40 people ahead of me, but the bike leg is where I felt like I would dominate. And dominate I did. As we weaved through Marina Bay, following the lead motorcycle, I started to pass people. When people saw me coming up behind them, they would try to sprint ahead, burn out, and I would then coast right by them. Throughout the bike leg there was this one girl I was neck and neck with, and even though I would finish before her on the bike leg, she would later pass me on the 1k run, to be the first female finisher. I finished the 6k bike in 13.12.

We came down One Marina Blvd. pass the crowds on our bikes and back to the transition zone. I threw down my bike and helmet and started running. I was feeling the pain. It is an easy transition to go from running to cycling, but cycling to running is much harder. I choked back nausea as I went back through the crowds and down to Esplanade Bridge. I was running, but at a 4.45kmh pace and with lots of pain. I u-turned at Esplanade Bridge, and was on the last 500m. The first female finisher passed me and so did five other people. But I overtook a few people as well. The finish line and start line were in different places, so some people in front of me sprinted to what they thought was the finish, but I passed them because the finish was actually another 200m further.

I hobbled through the finish in 27.57 and just after I crossed the finish line a medal was placed around my neck and a cold bottle of water was put in my hand. Great service. As I found my family, I found out I had finished in the top 20! (I later found out the official race results and I found that I finished 5th for my age category and 14th overall!) I was overjoyed. I had no idea I was going to do that well. I got my bike, watched the elite wave start and then left for home.

It was a great race(and not just because I did so well). My sister said that after watching me she really would like to do it in 2008. My souvenirs included a gray, synthetic t-shirt with a nice design and a silver finishers medal. If I train hard, who knows top 10 next year? Top 5? Number 1?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I like your last entry that you put in. It is very nice, and it feels like I am there at the race, in your place.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Sounds like a good run / bike ride in Singapore