Saturday, June 2, 2007

Recipe for long rides

Found a very helpful article from a website called wheels are
turning
which is a cycling group based here in Singapore.
It was written by one of their members and I find it
extremely helpful for when I decide to go on a long rides.

FAQ: Recipe for long rides
Version 1.1 (22 Sep 2002, updated 13 Sep 204)
by Otterman

Recipe for long rides (>=100km)
(See NTU Round Island, 12 Jan 2003: 160km):

A bike in good order

  • Get a decent bike with good working gears. Its just not worth the pain after the first 60km! I experienced significant relief after getting my new bike, a GT Avalanche 1.0! See advise about buying a new bike.
  • Slick tyres - great when you start out on your first long distance road ride. It makes for a very smooth ride but is not so stable when roads are wet. So in monsoons I favour knobblies (the usual mountain bike tyres). Can cost about S$35/pair.

Apparel

  • Bike shorts - get a well padded pair!
  • Bike jersey - sweat evaporates quickly. Since I perspire profusely, I am no longer bogged down by a drenched shirt. You can even wash and dry it on very hot days.

Standard Kit (all waterproofed)

  • First aid kit - for significant grazes and wounds. I'm always stocked with brave soldier for wound healing. Anything more demanding, its time to look for a clinic!
  • Money and identity - I don't bring my wallet but my NRIC, ATM card, Credit Card (Passport), Cash, pen and paper.
  • Digital camera - the trusty mud-soaked Sony.
  • Always ready for a puncture - Bike repair kit; extra tubes; valve adaptor.
  • Stuff I don't have but should get! - Bike tool, Hand pump.

Food and water

  • Water! - I use about 1L per 20km; filled with 25% 100plus and 75% water.Some use a 3L Camelpak Mule. I prefer to have nothing on my back, so I use I use two Adidas water bottles in cages on my bike frame and a Camelpak DayTrekker on my waist = 2 x 0.75L + 1.4L = 2.9L. I usually pre-freeze the 1.4L camepak bladder and use it last. It is quite well insulated so I have a cool drink after 40km or more. When I became more fit, I didn't seem to need the 100 plus mixture.
  • Power bars - I find these very useful after 60km. With better fitness, I could survive without it longer before I start munching.
  • Methy salicyclate relaxant lotion - I use either Salon Pas or Mentholatum Deep Heating Rub, and apply well before I feel the fragility of my thigh muscles! Initially I needed to apply to deep heat to my thighs after just 20km. As I got fitter, it was down to after 60km.

Fighting the sun

  • Sunblock lotion - prevents a burn, even if darkly pigmented! It is usually smart to apply well before you feel the need - once you hit 10am. Pre-empt instead of rectify!
  • Sunglasses help cope with the glare and dust considerably. Lightly tinted glasses functionin low light andd come is useful in light drizzles.

Priceless

  • Kakis - It is morale boosting to ride with others or to chat once in awhile with those who are about your pace in group rides.

1 comment:

Sivasothi said...

Glad you liked it; happy riding!