Friday, June 1, 2007

Bukit Timah and Back Before Breakfest

Tuesday night I decided I wanted to go on a short road bike ride. I was lying in bed at 6.30 am asking myself if I really wanted to get out of bed, get dressed and exert myself. At 7 I decided that I did. :). My plan was to go to Bukit Timah and on the way back I would elongate my route a bit through Nassim and Dempsey roads. As I was passing the Botanic Gardens on my way to Bukit Timah, I nearly ran over a huge, dead boa constrictor on the left lane. It was freshly dead because it wasn't squished yet. The snake was about as thick as a coke can and at least 1.5 meters long. I had never seen a snake that big before.

When I was going down Bukit Timah road I was faster than the public buses servicing the stops on the road. I was averaging about 29kmh on that 5k stretch of road. I u-turned at the end of Bukit Timah and sped down the road at an average of 33.6kmh!

As I was going underneath the underpass at the end of Duneran Road, I had a bit of a scare. I was speeding down the ramp and as I was accelerating uphill, I rapidly changed gears and all of a sudden, I nearly lost control of my bike because my chain had fallen off on the front sprocket. I pulled over the shoulder and after getting my breath back put it back on.

Good ride though, did it all under 50 minutes.

Thighs were on fire on every uphill. I mean every uphill. Even the small uphills, guess I will have to do some hill work.

Stats: Distance-22.41 km, Avg. Speed-28.9kmh, Max Speed-45.3kmh, Time-48.58

No comments: